Thursday, August 6, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird

Lee, Harper.  To Kill a Mockingbird.  NY: Grand Central Publishing, c1960. 376 pages.

Probably everyone in the world has read this book but me.  I was at the book store to spend a birthday gift card and picked up the new novel by Harper Lee and found that it continued the story of the characters from To Kill a Mockingbird.  I decided I should start at the beginning.

While I find that reading about real disturbing events is not fun because of the collective guilt I feel,  I couldn't put this book down.  If there is a soul alive that couldn't love Scout and Jem and Atticus, I don't know who it could be.  The mysterious Boo Radley, the odious Bob Ewell, lively Miss Maudie, loyal Calpurnia, all of these characters come alive in the story of a southern lawyer raising two children alone.  Scout is precocious and a tomboy and Jem is in the transition from boy to man.  When Atticus chooses to defend black Tom Robinson, things in Maycomb, Alabama change for the Finch children. They are puzzled and disturbed by the events and their former innocence is lost.  Aside from being a good story line, the writing of course, won a Pulitzer Prize.  I can't agree more.  I loved the book, and I am loving the sequel, which was published 55 years later.

Recommended (and often required reading in school) for junior high and above.  Review by Mrs. Belknap


No comments:

Post a Comment