Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Delirium



In the future, love is considered a disease which impaired reason and posed a threat to society. A cure was created to protect citizens from the debilitating effects of the illness, but since it is an alteration to the brain, the procedure cannot be done until the age of 18. Lena Haloway counts down the days until her procedure, anxiously anticipating the moment she can join the other "cureds.” However, her procedure is interrupted by a gang of rebels, one of them a boy that Lena finds herself falling hopelessly in love with. She is entangled in a forbidden romance in a society that now views her as diseased.
I could not put this book down until I finished, and I will warn any students that I recommend it to that it will greatly inhibit your ability to accomplish tasks after you start. The romance of the book is beautiful and genuine, and the action is thrilling and intense. I love dystopian fiction, so it is a very appealing story to me. I think high school girls are the best fit for this book, but once the movie comes out, it will be a much more popular series. 


Oliver, Lauren. Delirium. New York: Harper, 2011.
Gr. 7-12, Speculative fiction, romance, science fiction
 

Check out the booktrailer created by Ms. Redington!






No comments:

Post a Comment